Sunday, August 16, 2009

a prayer for Tulsa

Father God, I thank you for calling me to something that feels so much bigger than I am. I thank you that You love the people of Tulsa so much more than I ever could. Thank you for sending me to reach the thousands in that bible-belt city who don't see church or the body of Christ as relevant to them.

Lord, please help me to connect with people in the neighborhood I move to. Let me show love to the kids and families who live there. Help me to be a friend to the friendless and offer some hope to the hopeless. I want to be that kind of person. I will care about the people who no one else will bother to care for.

Let me be a living example of Jesus where I work and go to school. I don't want to be known as a person who goes to church, or even as a Christian, but a person who shows love through my actions each and ever day. I don't view my job as just a job or my peers as just peers. My job gives me the means to be a blessing and my peers are people that I can bless and serve with all my heart.

Lord, as I get to know a small group of people in our church, I want to live life with those people. I want to laugh with them and cry with them. When they are up, I want to celebrate with them and when they are down, I want to be the strength they don't have.

I want to be built into a leader that does more. I want to personally lead people into a relationship with You, God. I want to be a person who helps my friends out of situations they have been trapped in for years. I want to do the things You have planned for me to do since before I was born.

But I don't want to stop there. Beyond being a leader myself, help me build leaders in Your Kingdom. I believe that the people who I mentor and help grow up in their faith will mentor others. That they will be people who become missionaries . . . open rehab centers for the hopeless . . . start new churches . . . . come up with creative ways to finance Your work on earth. In short, I want to lead people to You who will do much great things than I ever will.

I am thinking of the tens of thousands with no connection to church or to You, Lord. People who live just within a few miles of where we will be in Tulsa. I believe, God, that You are creating circumstances for people to meet me, accept my friendship and ultimately accept the plan You have for their lives.

Lord, I'm in your hands. I'm following You on faith because I believe You have called me to Tulsa to live out a plan that only You completely know right now. I am humbled to be part of this effort and part of your plan. I put You first, God. I know that untold challenges lie ahead and I accept those and face them with all the courage within me. I believe You are my source of strength and You will provide for all I need. I trust You with all that I hold dear. I am your servant. Help me to serve you and serve the people of Tulsa, Oklahoma well.

In Jesus' name. Amen


Jason Fitch - Lead Pastor

No comments:

Post a Comment