Wednesday, February 3, 2010

reflections from a day of prayer

I spent most of yesterday by myself. No, phone, no computer. Just myself and a small notebook to jot down anything I thought God might be saying to me. It is really difficult for me to disconnect like that. I am glad God is teaching me how to rely on Him more than on my connections to people.

As I set out on my day, I felt pretty certain that God wanted me to do a driving tour of our target area in Tulsa. So, I spent the morning driving and praying between 61st St and 91st and between Memorial and Garnett. Six square miles that I believe God is asking us to target as we begin this church.

As I drove and prayed, I noticed things I've never seen before. I saw new neighborhoods, businesses and churches that just got lost in the shuffle of life. I envisioned our team (many who we don't even know yet) walking these neighborhoods praying over them, meeting people and inviting them to our new church house to house. I noticed that there is land for sale everywhere and new office suites under construction as well. God seemed to be telling me that my vision to plant a church a year is too small. That scares me, because I thought a church a year was big time. I think that God let me in on something specific for the people living in this geographical box in Tulsa; they are lonely.

I ended my day by driving around this target area of Tulsa seven times, claiming it for Jesus. I did under-estimate how long that would take. Traffic picked up and schools let out shortly after I began my 7 laps. I did finally finish it in just over 3 hours.

Three hours well spent. A day well spent. I look forward to my next day disconnecting from people and connecting with God.

Jason Fitch - Lead Pastor

2 comments:

  1. how sweet!awesome vision! i will be praying. i love reading this stuff. you are so cool. and real. people will follow you because they will want what you have~~the grace and love of God.
    May God bless you and give you peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'd love to know who you are

    ReplyDelete