Sunday, December 27, 2009

Church and the Christmas season in Tulsa

One of the big reasons I wanted to get to Tulsa prior to our originally planned Jan 1 move date was to observe how churches in this city approach the Christmas season. With the notable exception of a blizzard on Christmas Eve (more on that in a minute), it looks like Tulsa Churches see and take advantage of the Christmas opportunity to connect with people who would not otherwise attend their churches. It looked like most churches had some type of Christmas Eve service with the larger ones offering many multiple services, some even prior to Dec 24.

I braved the blizzard and went to a service/production at Church on the Move. It was nothing short of amazing. It was the most creative and enjoyable production I've ever experienced paired with the most powerful presentation of the "Christmas Story" from the bible. It was fun and challenging. I loved every second of that 90-minute program.

Back to the snow. It is early Sunday morning as I write this and it has been well over 48 hours since the last of the snow has fallen, but just about every church in the city is closed. Yeah, the roads are still bad in spots and I'm not sure I would take my family out on them today, but the thing that bothers me is that I went to the movies yesterday and the place was packed. Shows were sold out and I waited in huge lines for popcorn. Same city, same people, same roads. It just kind of makes me mad that so many churches canceled today. True that I might not take my family out today, but I would open my church and be there for whoever might brave the elements. Thousands braved it for a movie yesterday. I'm sure a few may make it to church.

Oh well, I'll have ample opportunity to put my money where my mouth is in the future.

Jason Fitch - Lead Pastor

No comments:

Post a Comment